Church is open every day, all day
The earliest recorded reference to the village of Wootton is in a charter of 687 AD wherein the name occurs as Uudeton. Wootton is not mentioned in the Domesday Book, but the church occurs in the Domesday Monachorum in the list of priests and churches paying customary to the Archbishop of Canterbury. We can, therefore, say with some assurance that Wootton church is of Saxon foundation, however there are no visible signs of the remains today.
The church is largely of 13th century construction with lancet windows in both the nave and chancel. The church was restored by public subscription in 1879. There is one working bell in working order, made by Joseph Hatch in 1629.
Common Worship Eucharist and Wootton Worship (non-Eucharistic) take place, usually twice a month and follow a pattern of hymns, readings, sermon and prayers, lasting about 45 minutes. Refreshments are served at the end of the service.
St Martin’s has a small but dedicated congregation which support the services and the general running of the church. Average attendance throughout the year is 15. More attend festival services such as Christmas, Easter, Harvest, Patronal and Remembrance. The congregation, who tend to be of mature years, prefer traditional services but also enjoy the variety offered by the other services in the Benefice. The Wootton Worship services have been particularly successful and members of the congregation play an active part in the worship.
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS!
Lesley Alexander - 01303 778276
CT4 6RP, Canterbury, Kent, England, United Kingdom