The Church which is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene is situated to the South of the village next to Denton Court and is reached via a footpath from the driveway to the Court.
The building is very small and has one aisle, a chancel and a small square tower at the west end. It is built of flint, chalk and mortar and the chancel is rendered without. The present Church is largely of 13th Century construction as evidenced by the simple form of the building itself – the chancel arch and the lancet windows have been renewed at a later date but the building remains typically characteristic of the small early English village of the period. The interior is plastered, with panelling against the North wall by the side of the pews there. There are two niches for a rood screen above the chancel step. The font is of stone on a single pedestal.
The chancel has three windows, one of which is very low. Most of the glass is modern, but there is an ancient piece of stained glass above the priest’s door. The glass is supposed to be part of a formed window and depicts the head of Christ.
The church has a porch on the north side and the seats of which are dedicated to the dead who fell in the 1914 – 1918 war.
There were originally three bells in the tower. The middle one became cracked and was unfortunately sold in 1870 and so spoiled the Mediaeval peel.
Common Worship Eucharist and New Day (non-Eucharistic) services take place, usually twice a month and follow a pattern of hymns, readings, sermon and prayers, lasting about 45 minutes. Refreshments are served at the end of the service.
St Mary's has a small but dedicated congregation which support the services and the general running of the church. Average attendance throughout the year is 15. More attend festival services such as Christmas, Easter, Harvest, Patronal and Remembrance. The congregation, who tend to be of mature years, prefer traditional services but also enjoy the variety offered by the other services in the Benefice. The New Day services have been particularly successful and members of the congregation play an active part in the worship.
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS!