Welcome to All Saints!
We have a small regular congregation but our numbers swell to between 40 and 80 for special services, such as Remembrance Day and Christingle. We offer a mixture of broadly traditional worship , with music from the organ and the Worship Band from Lyminge.
Some history about our church:
All Saints Church, Stanford is situated on a low hillock with the Old Rectory and higher ground to the east, with the East Stour just below to the west and, beyond it, Stone Street.
Earliest reference to the church is in Domesday Monachorium where it pertains to Lyminge.
In the late medieval period it was a Chapel to Lyminge, and attached to the rectory of Lyminge, as was Paddlesworth. The Patron was the Rector of Lyminge, and ultimately the Archbishop until the Reformation.
The site of the earlier (medieval) church presumably lies beneath the 19th century one.
The church was completely rebuilt in 1841 (chancel) and 1878 (nave), but the the earlier church was described as 'a small mean building, and consists of one isle and one chancel, having a low pointed turret at the west end, in which are two bells. There are no memorials in it.' by Hasted VIII (1799).
Petrie's early 19th century view from the S.E. shows a simple rectangular nave and chancel with a 2-light east window with quatrefoil above (c. 1300): also a Perp. square-headed window on the S.W side of the chancel. The S.E. window of the nave (2 light) appears to be post-medieval and there is a dormer in the roof above. There is a south porch, and a west bell-turret with a shallow pyramid roof.
The font from St Mary's, Westenhanger was apparently brought here after the Reformation, when the latter church became disused.
The 19th century church is in a uniform style with "13th cent." windows, etc. It has a nave and chancel.
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS!